September 9, 2022

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 09/09/2022

Troy opened the meeting at 11:00 am at the fall conference.


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Susan Bentley, Vice-President
  • Andria Geigle, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Jack Odle, District 2 Rep
  • Dustin DeLong, District 3 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Rebecca Schrock, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Greg Werich, Chief Exec Committee
  • Shannon Chambers, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Heather Malone, Chief PO Huntington County Probation
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership and Website Administrator

Also In Attendance:

Linda Brady

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the August Secretary’s Report. Susan made a motion to accept.  Shannon seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

Andrea provided the August Treasurer’s Report. As of August 31, 2022, the balance in savings was $17,083.43 and $124,974.82 in checking. Susan made a motion to accept and Cherie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.


Karen stated we currently have 1134 members. Many have paid the membership dues for 2023.

Fee increase – Things are going well w/ the reminder and implementation of the membership fee increase.

Karen is continuing to communicate w/ members regarding the years of service and updating her records accordingly. With the new list/updates it will be less time consuming in the future for the 10 and 25 yr membership awards.

Lindsey – Discussed the 10 and 25 membership awards. This year, it was somewhat chaotic, but it will be easier in the future. The first yr members were given a 10% coupon to use on merchandise and she stated a few had used the coupon.

Clothing sales – We have over $2000 clothing sales and additional orders. Lindsey suggested we conduct a survey and ask if there are any suggestions for other merchandise options.


Anthony stated there were only a few issues at the conference. He transferred over $27,000 to the bank account from registration fees.

Credit card – We discussed the use of credit cards for registration because we did lose approx. $4000 in credit card fees. Andria stated some counties used an ACH for the payment and that does not have a charge associated with it. Andria completed the paperwork for POPAI to use the ACH and a copy is on reserve in our online files. It was stated that auditors are encouraged to begin using ACH. It was discussed if we must offer the option for a credit card payment and/or if we charge the member the credit card fee.

Survey- He has received 41 surveys.

Fall Conference – We discussed in detail the future fall conference locations. If anyone has options, please notify Anthony. The numbers of attendees continue to increase which must be considered. The estimate is 535 attendees (vendors, presenters, members) and he will have an accurate number at the next meeting.

Vendors- We had 15 new vendors and had exhausted all our space for the vendors.

We agreed that Anthony will begin discussions with French Lick for the 2023 conference.

Whova-He will work with Whova about the messages, etc. It could be a feature that we do not offer or that must be approved by Anthony before it is posted.

Lindsey – Stated Game Night was successful. More people were involved with the trivia than we expected. We discussed options for a future game night (vendor sponsor, etc).

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg stated we had around 20 attend the chief’s breakfast and many good ideas were discussed. He will talk to Anthony about the suggestions.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Next meeting – Oct 11

Shannon stated they will be discussing the mission statement, changes to the PSI/OMS, standardizing the legal history information/sentencing information/adding drop down boxes.

Lindsey will be our POPAI Representative to POAB.


The Secretary, District 8 and the 2 at large positions remain open. The positions must be posted for 15 days before the board can vote. Karen will post the information the website next week.

Awards and Recognition

The awards were presented at the annual board meeting.

Line Officer of the Year – John Bush, Delaware County

Rookie Officer of the Year – Tabitha Davis, Hancock County

Founders Award – Madonna Wagoner

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

Troy discussed:

HE 1075 – JRAC recommended changes to the community correction advisory board.

SB9- Data is to be collected and sent to the State.  We discussed a list of requirements would be very beneficial for everyone.

Next meeting is 9-23



Karen – The database is great shape and she has started a new system for determining the 10 and 25 yr members. She will continue to assess the strengths/weaknesses of the site and wants to eventually update the look of the website. With these changes, she will be communicating w/ the tech committee more in the next 6-8 months.

She will post the Intent to Run Form on the Monday morning notification. That information will be sent to Mike Small.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

Quarterly Newsletter has been sent to the membership.

Old Business

PO Salary Scale – Troy and Susan met with a few of the IOCS Staff and received feedback for the next step.

The Probation Committee of the Judicial Conference will meet in Oct and will discuss the salary scale.

Jail Management System Workgroup – The next meeting is on 9-15. Grant County is currently a pilot county.

Bylaws- Amendments were approved.

New Business

POPAI Life Membership Nomination – Cherie motioned for Kathy Reese (Madison County) to become a life member. Susan seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Karen will advise Kathy.

Checkup presentation – We discussed and Troy will reply.

New committee assignments – Troy asked everyone to review and we will discuss at next meeting.

Next Meeting

Executive Board Meeting – Wednesday, Oct 12 in Hamilton County and via Zoom.