September 6, 2019

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 09/06/2019

Adam called the meeting to order at 10:40am


  • Adam McQueen, President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Greg Werich, Chief Exec Committee
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Linda Brady, Past President

Secretary's Report Adam asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the August Secretary’s Report. Sarah moved to accept the August Secretary’s Report.   Andria seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.  

Treasurer's Report C.J. emailed The Board the August Treasurer’s Report. As of August 31, 2019 the balance in checking was $93,822.35 and in savings $17,068.16. Cherie motioned to accept the Treasurer’s Report. Sarah seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. C.J. also provided The Board the updated 2019 budget.

Membership As of August 29, 2019: 1000 total members, 925 POs, 21 Corporate, 54 Other.

Education Sarah will contact IOCS for the number of new chief probation officers and we will then discuss a new CPO Training. Susan will communicate with French Lick Staff about securing dates for the 2021 and 2022 fall conference. Many expressed their appreciation for the lunch provided at the annual meeting. The updates on the app also received great comments.

Chief's Executive Committee There was a meeting at breakfast today and suggestions were provided for future training topics. Peer coaching was a topic and one in which will be discussed with Angie Hensley.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

  • A HUGE Thank You to POPAI for allowing us to have table space at your conference!  This has always generated interest in JDAI and we appreciate the opportunity!
  • Approximately 85 stakeholders attended the screening of 13th in August that was sponsored by JDAI.  We had many who were new to JDAI!  Attendees included:
    • probation officers
    • judicial officers
    • clergy
    • detention center staff
    • service providers
    • community members
    • law enforcement officers
    • representatives from:
      • the Department of Child Services
      • the Supreme Court
      • the Indiana State Department of Health
      • the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute
      • the Indiana Department of Education
      • the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
      • the NAACP
      • the Department of Workforce Development
      • the Indiana Department of Correction
      • the Commission on Improving the Status of Children in Indiana
  • The JDAI Coordinators’ Conference is right around the corner - September 25th and 26th at the Oakwood Resort in Syracuse, Indiana!

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update The next meeting is in October.

Election Election results = Melanie Pitstick - District 5 representative and CJ Miller - Treasurer. Andria motioned, according to our by laws,(since we did not have anyone on the ballot for District 1 or District 3) to nominate Bob Schuster for District 1 and Sarah Lochner for District 3. Michael seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Discussion regarding steps to keep members involved and encouraging members to run for a board position. Mignon suggested we have a booth at the conferences to provide additional information about becoming a board member. Discussion regarding changing the by laws to include at large board members. Andria suggested we send an email to all board members as well as the chiefs. Michael was selected as the chair of the election committee.

Awards and Recognition Troy Hatfield was presented the Founder’s Award. Congratulations to Troy. Discussion followed to notify those who were nominated, but not selected for the different awards. Susan will review the APPA Awards to see which one we can recommend Troy to.  

Indiana Evidence Based Decision Making (EBDM) Initiative No report.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC) No report. Next meeting on September 27.  

Legislation The next Corrections and Criminal Code meeting will be September 18.

Technology Karen sent the report prior to the meeting.  

Old Business PPM: Sarah stated we will meet after the October Board Meeting. Workload: On August 30 there was a joint leadership meeting with IACCAC. The next scheduled meeting is on 9/11. Adam stated DOC and IOCS have agreed to assist with research. Liability insurance coverage will be tabled for the October Meeting.

New Business Committee chair will be determined at the next meeting. Cherie explained Vanderburgh County paid for a member to attend the conference and that member resigned the week before the conference. A discussion followed. Melanie made a motion for the county to be reimbursed the registration fee and Michael seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.  

Next Meeting Next meeting will be Wednesday, October 9. Everyone consented and meeting was adjourned.