July 8 ,2020

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 07/08/2020

Adam opened the meeting, conducted through Zoom, at 10:35 am.


  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Kory George, JDAI Representative
  • Linda Brady, Past President

Secretary's Report Adam asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the June Secretary’s Report. Heather made a motion to accept. CJ seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report CJ provided the May Treasurer’s Report. As of June 30, 2020, the balance in savings was $17,078.13 and $65,156.81 in checking. CJ stated payments/bills seem to be up to date. Cherie made a motion to accept and Sarah seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. CJ provided the updated budget report.

Membership As of July 1, 2020 we had 1,007 Total Current; 930 POs; 22 Corporate; 55 Other

Education 2020 Fall Conference – Susan has talked to a few speakers about offering training through Zoom. Discussion followed regarding expense and how many sessions to offer. CJ and Troy discussed the reduction of membership fees, especially the corporate members. Susan will send the corporate members an invoice. Bob suggested additional information (bio, clip, etc) about the speaker. Sarah has not received any information about continuing education hours being reduced/waived. CJ made a motion that we contract with Brian Lovins for $1500, charge $25 for the 2020 members and $50 for non-members. Discussion followed. Susan will add the option on the registration for departments to be able to pay 2021 membership as well. Susan will discuss specifics with Brian and advise everyone. We will advertise after we have all the information. We are discussing Sept 16 and 17. Cherie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.  Adam discussed other agencies who are not offering training could be willing to advertise. 2021 Management Institute – Susan will talk to Drury Inn about future dates, contract, cancellation, etc. 2021 and 2022 Fall Conference – Susan has secured dates at French Lick.

Chief's Executive Committee Greg was not available. Sarah suggested we schedule a Zoom meeting for the next CEC Meeting.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update Kory provided the report from Nancy:

  • The JDAI State Team continues to return to in-office work.  We are not yet cleared for regular travel, but continue to work with sites virtually for now.
  • The Indiana JDAI Inter-Site will be held virtually.  This provides an opportunity to share content with a wider audience and maintains safety of all.  We plan to offer live sessions and are encouraging sites to consider organizing “watch parties” as a way to promote action planning and discussion among stakeholders.
  • We are encouraging sites to consider a structure for assessing changes that occurred during COVID-19 that could be continued and adopted as long-term policy.  One way to do this is through a STOP-START-CONTINUE activity with stakeholders, but there are several ways to accomplish this.  State Team is available for support if needed!
  Kory stepped down from the Criminal Confinement Committee. Kory said he is willing to continue as the POPAI Representative.  

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update Heather stated the meeting is scheduled for July 14.

Election Michael stated at this time we do not have any contested elections. The slate will still need to be posted and each person will need a minimum of one vote. The Intent to Run forms are due by July 11 for District 2, 4, 6, 8, President and Secretary. Contested election – Troy discussed options if we do have a contested election.

Awards and Recognition Bob will post the application process soon on the website.

Indiana Evidence Based Decision Making (EBDM) Initiative Troy stated there isn’t a report for EBDM.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC) Adam – The last meeting was June 19 and was a meet and greet. They did form a new committee, JRAC Quick Response Committee. The next meeting will be on August 11 or 12th at 1:30.

Legislation Linda was reappointed to the Interim Study Committee on Corrections and Criminal Code. Linda suggested if we have a legislator on the committee to reach out about concerns. Linda stated Monroe County has concerns about the pretrial funding.

Technology Karen previously sent everyone the report.

Old Business PPM and BY LAWS: By law changes will be posted on the website. Troy explained when we need to post the proposals. Troy motioned to change the language in Article X and XIII to insert annual business meeting or special meeting anywhere annual business meeting is stated. Sarah seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Troy suggested we still offer our annual business meeting through Zoom. If the training is scheduled on Sept 16 and 17, we will plan the business meeting on Sept 16. Sarah asked everyone to review the documents (SWOT Analysis for Strategic Plan, etc). Please send any suggestions to Sarah before our next meeting. Education Subcommittee - Race and Fairness: Lakisha presented minutes as follows:

Commission on Race and Gender Fairness

Agenda/Summary of meeting June 19, 2020

1. Welcome- Mrya Shelby discussed the significance of Juneteenth, Moment of Silence (for lives lost due to current injustices and past injustices). 2. Approval of Minutes 3. Tutorial on Microsoft Teams 4. Introduction of Guest Speakers

A. Justice Frank Sullivan Jr., President of Civilian Merit Board

1. Discussed recruitment efforts for IMPD to get qualified persons with good character.

2. “Women behind the Badge”-Focuses on supporting and encouraging women interested in becoming an officer for IMPD. Workshop is provided yearly to assist in recruiting efforts.

3. Working towards more training for officers to include: Cultural Competency, Homelessness, Implicit Biases and Deescalating situations without use of physical force.

4. Workgroups are forming to consider changes in “use of force” policies.

5. Aaron Bailey Case: No sworn officer can be hired or fired excepted with the approval of the Merit Board. In the Aaron Bailey the merit board rejected firing the police officers.

6. Indianapolis has the fewest police shootings in the US of the 20 largest cities.

B. Honorable Lonnell Conley, IMPD Diversity Think Tank

1. Discussed basic training programs for IMPD (Unity, Traffic Tacticals, Drugs, ect)

2. Safegaurds- Regarding Covid 19 which include Shelter in Place in Jail and modifying sentences for inmates.

5. The Chief Justice Rush Statement (June 5, 2020)- Regarding Racial and Social Justice in Indiana (https://laporteco.in.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Chief-Justice-Rush-Statement-on-Race-and-Equity.pdf) Justice Rush has not (at this time) reached out to the Commission of Race and Gender Fairness to be involved in current efforts. 6. Next meeting Friday, July 24, 2020 at 12pm. 7. Adjourn   Old Business: DOC grant application, memo to agencies, funding – Troy discussed the communication he had with Kristen about the memo. Kristen stated she will let him know if she receives more information. He also talked to Angie Hensley. Adam asked if the cost of living increase will be covered and was told to include it, but unsure if it will be funded. He was also told there will be opportunities to adjust the budget if necessary to include the benefits.

New Business Article on the website regarding expungement – Troy discussed the specifics of the article and the request to have it removed. Troy stated the Expungement removes the criminal case, but not any media documentation. Discussion followed. Decision was made the old article will remain, the new article (Supreme Court Ruling) will be submitted for the Monday new article and Adam will write a response that Karen will forward. Karen sent the letter on Thursday, July 9, 2020.

Next Meeting Executive Board Meeting – Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. EDT via Zoom and September 9, @ 10:30