February 10, 2021

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 02/10/2021

Adam called the meeting, via zoom, to ordrer at 9:33 am.


  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Linda Brady, Past President
  • Esther Kaelin, JDAI Representative
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Secretary's Report

Adam asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the January Secretary’s Report. Michael made a motion to accept. Melanie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the February Treasurer’s Report. As of January 31, 2021, the balance in checking was $67,993.47 and $17,080.72 in checking. Cherie made a motion to accept and Melanie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

CJ also provided the updated budget report.

The accountant has asked for documents:

Report of the payee and amount for 2020 1099s to be issued. QuickBooks reports are available, Indiana NP-20 for 2018, IRS SS-4 and IRS exempt status determination letter.

A discussion followed regarding our nonprofit status and the documentation needed. We will continue to communicate to determine the forms needed and if we need to request additional verification.


February 10, 2021: 958 Total Current; 884 POs; 19 Corporate; 55 Other

Karen stated things are going great. She has sent verification letters to the current members and received positive responses. She has corrected an error in the system for notifications of invoices.

(Corporate Members)

Karen said Anthony has been working on the corporate members.

Sarah discussed what are we offering to our corporate members and opportunities for corporate sponsorship of activities, etc.

Karen explained options previously: CM could pay more and sponsor our lunch, etc.

A discussion followed and it suggested to have different levels/different benefits for corporate members. A corporate sponsorship work group has been formed and a zoom meeting will be scheduled for 2/17 @ 9am.


2021 Virtual Management Institute & CPO Summit via Whova – CPO Orientation = March 17th – Management Institute = March 18th – CPO Summit = March 19th – 2021 POPAI Fall Conference, French Lick Resort = Sept 8-10

Anthony has a tentative agenda for the new CPO Orientation, Management Institute and CPO Summit. He explained the process for the virtual connection w/ the vendors. He expects some vendors will still offer drawings for prizes. The Whova site has a variety of options and is very user friendly.

He explained the process for registering for the conference and the options for payment, etc. An invoice can still be utilized. You will be able to communicate by email with other attendees of the conference.

We will open the new CPO Orientation to all chiefs, assistant chiefs and supervisors.

Karen said the corporate sponsors have received an invoice and Anthony also reached out to them.

Sarah suggested a topic for round table discussion is the impact on our department due to Covid (such as how the workplace looks now, in the future, etc).

Chief's Executive Committee

No report.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Esther provided the updates:

  • JDAI/DOC grant applications are due soon.  Each year, JDAI makes available $2M in grants to local sites for implementation.
  • The State Steering Committee meets this Friday.  One of the highlights will be release of the 2020 Annual Results Report data.  We always look forward to sharing this data, as it is a measure of impact and momentum of JDAI across all sites.
  • The JDAI State Team is back to operating on a staggered in-and out-of-office schedule.  We are still prohibited from traveling to counties, but are hoping to start back to that later this spring.


Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Next meeting is April 13.


No update.

Awards and Recognition

Karen said she will add the information about the Knepple Scholarship later this month.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

The last meeting was on January 29.

SB 222-Money bail. Most Misdemeanor Offenses would be released without posting bail.

HB 1068 – Local JRAC. Extends current bill so each county would have a local JRAC Committee. It passed first reading. Local JRAC would be responsible to send an annual report to State JRAC.

They have not heard any discussions about reducing community corrections funding.


Troy sent the updates to the Board before the meeting.

36-1-8.5: Removing Probation Officer Address from public information. The lobbyist is still planning to request this be added to a Bill.

SB232 – EXPOSURE RISK DISEASES (FORD J) Adds any variant of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), including coronavirus disease (COVID-19), to the list of diseases considered an exposure risk disease for purposes of
emergency and public safety employee death and disability presumed in the line of duty

(Troy discussed this in detail and asked if anyone objects to asking the lobbyist request probation officers be added. Parole is already included.)

SB 368: Adam previously discussed with the Board and after receiving comments, stated we cannot support this Bill as written.

HB 1202: Inmate relief to DOC, Parole Board would have the ability to modify a defendant who was sentenced before July 1, 2014.


Karen worked on the data workload. She has moved our website to a new host and has been happy with the transition.  She explained the situation with our current site and the details of the reason we needed to change to a different company.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

We will discuss on 2/18

Race & Gender Fairness Commission

Lakisha advised Troy they have not met since our last meeting. They will meet before our next POPAI Meeting.

Old Business

Troy explained the process of drawing for the APPA Virtual Conference. Everyone has been registered.

Adam discussed an email from Susan Rice regarding a position at APPA.

Next Meeting

Wednesday, March 10 @ 10:30 am.