December 8, 2021

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 12/8/2021

Call to order by Troy Hatfield at 10:35 am


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Susan Bentley, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Megan Eakright, District 3 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Rebecca Schrock, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Shannon Chambers, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the November Secretary’s Report. Susan moved to accept the November Secretary’s Report. Bob seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the December Treasurer’s Report. As of November 30, 2021, the balance in checking was $87, 551.13 and in savings $17,082.15. Heather motioned to accept the Treasure’s Report. Lindsay seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

The payment to Susan Rice has been submitted and CJ has received the voided checks.


Lindsey stated she had a recent merchandise order after attending a meeting in which another officer was wearing our apparel.

We discussed the logo the that was provided. Karen said she believes she can improve the letters on the logo. We decided to keep our current logo.

As of December 7: 1079 total members, 991 POs, 24 Corporate, 54 Other.

Karen stated the November membership payments were low, but that is normal. She and Anthony have a new check deposit work flow, which is working well.

She has emailed the corporate members about the upcoming gold sponsorship and received one response.


Anthony has a signed contract with Drury Inn for March 9, 10 and 11. He has secured Jenny Bauer for Wed and Angie Hensley for Friday.

Next week is the meeting with the Chief’s Executive Committee and he will finalize speaker afterwards. He had someone who reached out last year regarding training and will communicate with them this week. If you have any other suggestions, please let him know.

Proposed leadership meeting with IACCAC – Cherie provided the update and will send the zoom link to the board for the scheduled IACCAC Meeting on 12-16. The discussions have continued and we should have additional information after the meeting next week.

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg advised Troy the meeting will be December 17 @ 10:30 at Hendricks County.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Per Esther by email:

The Indiana JDAI Executive Committee completed three sessions of Results Action Planning facilitated by the OCL Group, LLC.  The EC will be sharing the work with JDAI local sites during the Judicial Day at the Coordinators’ Conference on March 1st.

The Coordinators’ Conference will be held March 1-2 at Fort Benjamin Harrison Inn and the Garrison Conference Center.  Day 1 will include Judicial Officers.

State Workgroup Meetings will be held January 12 and 13.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Shannon stated:

The next meeting will be January 11.

The topics from the Supervision Subcommittee Meeting:

1. Creation of POAB mission statement, by laws, structures, new member orientation, etc.

2. Creation of a PR campaign for POAB so line officers throughout the state are aware of it and the benefits.

3. Salary schedule: Troy Hatfield will be attending as a subcommittee guest and sharing some information with us about POPAI’s work on this to date.

4. Streamlining the reports between IOCS and DOC (each requiring the same data collection and reporting format), as well as using that process to simplify SRS.

5. Creating some standards for completing PSI’s in Incite (perhaps changing the format itself with JTAC for more dropdowns and standardization); or alternatively if that is not possible, no longer sharing it among counties.

6. The proposed RW changes and how this interacts with CSAMS requirements.

7. Streamlining of the intrastate transfer paperwork (forms are repetitive). And creation of a transfer process among problem-solving courts.

Heather said one of the conversations is having a more standardized form for the criminal histories on the psi.


Becky Schrock is our new District 5 Representative.

Troy discussed the election committee and Becky agreed to be the Chair of committee.

Awards and Recognition

Bob stated no report.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

Last meeting Nov 30

The final report has been submitted for the Community Corrections Code Revision Committee.

JRAC Racial Equity Workgroup – Is continuing and the plan is for 3-4 counties to become involved.

EBDM/Local JRAC Workgroup – The second webinar will be on 12-15-21. A third webinar is expected, but not scheduled.

Mary Kay stated there are 3 counties who will pilot the Jail Management System.


Troy stated there are a few things we need to continue to watch (issues w/ pretrial, issues w/ defendants who are on bail, etc)

AIG may seek language to add probation officers to those to be defended by the AG.


Karen sent the full report to the board prior to the meeting. She will assist Becky with onboarding and the election process.

In November she noticed unusual visit activity on the website. She protected the datatabase and avoided a hack our system. She’s started a class on improving security.

She has been working on the quality control and sent links to Anthony and Susan Rice to deliver W9 Forms securely to CJ.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

We will review at the Jan Meeting.

Race & Gender Fairness Commission

No updates.

Old Business

Leadership/Mentoring Project – Heather, CJ and Shannon. Heather stated they are ready to begin. Brian suggested we begin in January. They were invited to be involved with the meetings (other than the one on one). He offered have a cocktail hour at the fall conference for those involved. The program will start in January, 2022.

Bob suggested we discuss with Brian about presenting a session at the fall conference if he will already be in attendance.

PO Salary Scale Ad Hoc Committee – Troy shared the salary scale document that he prepared detailing the history of probation officer salaries and the responses to the surveys.

We had a long discussion about the results of the surveys and determining our proposal to the POAB. Troy will update the information and send to the board.

Lake County Board of Commissioners – No update and Troy will continue to check.

Budget Committee – Will meet in December.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in January