August 10, 2022

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 08/10/2022

Troy called the hybrid in person and zoom meeting to order at 10:35 am.


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Susan Bentley, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Rebecca Schrock, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Also In Attendance:

Andria Geigle

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the July Secretary’s Report. Heather made a motion to accept. Lindsey seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the July Treasurer’s Report. As of July 31, 2022, the balance in savings was $17,083.27 and $93,366.60 in checking. Becky made a motion to accept and Mignon seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

CJ stated Antony picked up checks from the PO Box totaling approximately $23,500 to deposit and we have more funds in the Whova Account.


As of August 8, 2022:  1,047 Total Current; 956 POs; 24 Corporate; 61 Other

Reminder of fee increases:  Corporate $500; POs $30 & Associates $15 in 2023

Lindsey brought one of the Yeti Cups for the members to see. Karen finished the 25 year membership list and is working on the 10 year. A discussion followed on providing the cups to those who will not be attending the conference. Lindsey will check w/ the other board members to see if they can deliver to officers who are work in their area, etc. For those that cannot easily be delivered, she will mail.

She has 30 + apparel items ordered as part of the presale. She will also have some items at the conference.

Karen stated things are going well. She is pleased to welcome several new community corrections departments for POPAI Membership.


Troy continues to have discussions regarding a partnership with IACCAC for a conference and will soon discuss with Bill again.

Anthony stated we have 477 total registered for the conference and Whova has a limit of 500. (400 actual attendees, 46 exhibitors, 27 speakers)

Currently, 70% have downloaded the Whova info and he will send another email to encourage everyone to do so.

We have 380 rooms booked at French Lick and 12 at West Baden. He sent the board members an excel list for everyone to sign up to assist w/ the sessions. That board member will ensure all the tech items, etc are working correctly and if something is needed that person can contact the French Lick staff.

Thursday meal: We discussed the results when the board members voted and made the decision (grilled chicken, ravioli, red potatoes, green beans, lemon bars). Water will be available again during the sessions, etc.

Breakout sessions: We discussed the options for food/drinks and decided to offer sodas in addition to the snacks.

Door prizes: Discussed followed and Adam suggested we offer more prizes since we have more attendees this year. Anthony will purchase prizes that total between $1500 – $2000. Suggestions were offered for prizes.

Refunds for conference:  We agreed to review this year, case by case and possibly determine a cancellation policy to be added to the 2023 registration.

Chief's Executive Committee

No report, but we will meet for breakfast on the Friday of the conference.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Esther stated the next meeting is scheduled for August 12 and the conference is scheduled Oct 5-7.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Heather – no updates

Lindsey will be our POPAI liaison with POAB.


The slate has been posted. Due to the applications received, the board needed to vote on District 3 and Treasurer.

Cherie motioned to appoint Dustin DeLong as the district 3 representative. Susan 2nd. Motion carried.

A ballot vote was decided for treasurer and Andrea Geigle was appointed.

The new district 3 representative will be Dustin DeLong from Howard County and the new treasurer will be Andria Geigle from Montgomery County.

For open seats without candidates District 8 and Secretary, the board will post applications on the Website Monday following the conference and accept them for 15 days for the specific position. The board will then vote and determine the new member.

Awards and Recognition

Bob stated we have numerous applicants for each award. Discussion followed regarding options for adult officer award and juvenile officer award. The committee will discuss this in detail in future.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

The last meeting was July 29.

There was a demo of the jail management system and Troy said it looks very good. They are unsure if it will be available to all jails and/or the cost involved. At this time, there isn’t funding for the maintenance of the site, etc. The goal is the system would integrate with OMS.

DOC funding report – Mary Kay stated they received approximately 2 million in requests for Veteran’s Court and they have 1 million to provide. There are 31 pretrial grants submitted.

Opioid Settlements – Counties should be contacted in the near future about the funding available. The AG’s Office is in charge of the funding.


Troy stated the summer study committee will start in September.

The criminal code meetings are scheduled for:  8/30, 9/20 and 10/4.


Karen plans to work with the Tech Committee regarding the Monday Morning Updates. The thought is to separate the POPAI news info from the Monday email so it is more visible. A discussion followed regarding how many of the articles are being read each week.

The fall conference invoices have been streamlined and going great.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

The quarterly report will be available this week.

Old Business

Salary scale – Troy and Susan met with Mary Kay, Jenny B, Michelle G and Chris B. He stated they were very receptive and provided suggestions as we move forward. (Add real life numbers on the impact of the revised scale. Determine how this will impact community corrections. Determine our talking points for the local/state level. Focus on recommendation for each level of change.)

The next step will be to discuss/submit to the Judicial Conference Probation Committee (possibly October meeting).

By Laws- Suggested amendments have been posted on the website and will be voted on at the fall conference.

New Business

POPAI Life Membership Nomination – Cherie motioned for Kari Ragsdale (Boone County) to become a life member. Lindsay seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Karen will advise Kari.

Adam- Discussed the partnership with Ivy Tech for legal services for expungement. He stated they may want to replicate in other areas.

DMHA- Contacted Troy and stated IU Health would like to hire re entry clients.

Static 99/Stable Training – Discussion. Bob and Heather had a few suggestions.

Email from concerned member- Discussed. Troy will communicate again w/ the member.

Next Meeting

Executive Board Meeting – Friday, Sept 9 @ French Lick Hotel.