April 13, 2022

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 05/13/2022

Troy opened the meeting at 9:30am


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Susan Bentley, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Megan Eakright, District 3 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Rebecca Schrock, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Shannon Chambers, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Also In Attendance:

Andria Geigle, Montgomery County Probation

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the March Secretary’s Report. Cherie made a motion to accept. Mignon seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the March Treasurer’s Report. As of March 31, 2022, the balance in checking was $96,930.14 and $17,082.57 in checking. Bob made a motion to accept and Becky seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

CJ also provided the updated budget report and stated all the bills from the Management Institute are paid.


April 6, 2022: 1069 Total Current; 993 POs; 18 Corporate; 58 Other

Karen stated many members renewed in March and things are good. The officers who attended the probation officer orientation have been sent an invitation to join POPAI.

Discussion followed regarding the 10 and 25 year members. Karen will send a survey to our membership, which will assist in gathering the additional information for the membership status. We plan to recognize the 10 and 25 year members at the fall conference.


Anthony said all the bills have been paid for the Management Institute and we may have additional deposits in the po box.

Survey results- we did not receive many but what we did receive was positive.

There was a suggestion that we advertise the Friday training is for chiefs and others in management. Anthony said we had few officers who registered for only one day of the training.

Fall conference- Karen has the call for proposals and will send to the board for us to share.

IACCAC- Troy had recent discussions about the potential partnership and should have additional information after the IACCAC May meeting. A one day training was also mentioned.

Chief's Executive Committee

No report.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

No report.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Shannon said the meeting has been moved go next week. The education committee will be reviewing video from orientation and they are to offer recommendations for the July meeting.

She said she met the Judges (Probation Committee of Judicial Conference) and the salary schedule was discussed. She asked Jenny to send the finalized proposal to the committee. The goal is to have approved in 2024.


Becky has been discussing w/ Karen and the Intent to Run announcement will be posted in May. This slate will include: President, Secretary, District 2, 4, 6 and 8. Secretary and District 8 are both term limited.

We discussed the at large positions that are included in the by laws. The vacancy must be posted for 15 days. The applications will be reviewed and then a vote will occur.

Awards and Recognition

Bob said the committee should have the recommendation for the scholarship before next week. (The recommendation was sent to the board after the meeting.)

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

Troy stated the last meeting was during our POPAI Management Institute. Susan attended the meeting and she stated no decisions were made.

May 27- next meeting


HEA 1359-Juvenile Justice Oversight Body. Chief Justice has not appointed the committee.

The session is complete.

The Judicial Conference must adopt probation standards specific to juvenile probation officers.

Troy asked if anyone on the board would like to be involved in the upcoming juvenile discussions and/or had suggestions for others.


Lindsey was able to use PayPal and QR Codes for merchandise purchases at the conference.

Karen provided the tech report to the board prior to the meeting. Things are going smoothly.

She discussed a request to add a job listing (that was not probation officer specific) on our website. Karen said she has the ability to separate job openings on the web page. A discussion followed.

Susan motioned to open the job listing to other community corrections and criminal justice positions and it will be a separate listing. Cherie seconded. Discussion followed for advertising other positions and/or private industries. Motion carried.

Karen will create 2 pages for job openings. One will be probation officers and the other page will include those in the criminal justice field. Karen will keep the board informed if there are requests outside of the normal scope. She will also update the request form to state “probation officer” or “other”.

Karen discussed the Kelly School of Business @ IU has a program/project that would give recommendations for improving our website and Facebook posts, and she entered our agency. If POPAI is selected, we would get free advice on ways to improve our online presence. She would then bring the report to the Board and Tech Committee to decide on what, if anything, to implement.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

Troy will send to the board and we can then discuss by email.

Race & Gender Fairness Commission

Lakisha advised Troy that Justice Selby is the chair.

Old Business

Leadership and mentoring project – Susan discussed another option, but we decided to continue to review. Susan will research the program with Fred Pryor, Shannon will contact Univ. of Cinn, Heather will contact the local sheriff’s department and Lindsey will contact DOC. Please contact Heather, CJ and Shannon if you have any ideas regarding leadership programs.

PO Salary Scale- Troy said he received 87 responses from the new survey. He will send another reminder.
We discussed prioritizing the requests or proposing as is. We decided to not prioritize the different requests.

Our goal is to have the support of the POAB. Then Probation Comm. Jud. Conference. Next Board of Directors.

Jail Management System Workgroup – no update

By Laws- CJ motioned to accept the by law revisions. Shannon seconded. All were in favor and motion carried

Troy will send the revisions to Karen, who will add to the website for public comment.

New Business

Quarterly letter- Troy will be preparing soon. He plans to include the salary request, upcoming election and the fall conference. Karen will supply District Emails for each representative.

APPA Affiliate Meeting- CJ is our area representative and will add his name to the website. He will also add the POPAI profile. The conference in the summer of 2023 will be in New York. APPA is planning to have 5 regional conferences. We discussed advertising the APPA Conferences on our website and/or at our conferences.

CJ received a letter from Indiana State Revenue and will apply for the tax exempt status.

Next Meeting

June 8 in person @ Hamilton County Department of Probation Services. If a meeting is needed before June, we will do so.