July 14, 2021

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 07/14/2021

Troy called the zoom meeting to order at 9:30 am.


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Sarah Lochner, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Chris Biehn, IOCS Liaison
  • Esther Kaelin, JDAI Representative
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Also In Attendance:

Shannon Chambers

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the June Secretary’s Report.  CJ moved to accept the June Secretary’s Report. Heather seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the June Treasurer’s Report. As of June 30, 2021, the balance in checking was $70,555.05 and in savings $17,081.43. Melanie motioned to accept the Treasure’s Report. Lindsey seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.


Karen – sent out several more department invoices and got some replies; set up a post in the APPA LinkedIn group for RFPs for fall conference.  She’ll post again for fall conference registration.

She sent an email to all the CPOs in the state and the email addresses are now in MailChimp; but she can separate the non-member CPOs.  Database is much better and expecting memberships in July to continue at this kind of pace, but will pick up in August and Sept for the conference.

Uptrust became a corporate sponsor and we should be seeing Susan at the fall conference.

As of July 8,2021:  947 total members, 881 POs, 11 Corporate, 55 Other.

Karen discussed all the issues with the tax documents and stated CJ has put a lot of time/effort is trying to answer/resolve the issues.


2021 Fall Conference, French Lick Resort, Sept 8-9-10

Proposals- Anthony has received many proposals from various speakers and has been discussing those with the Education Committee. We discussed the different time slots, the availability of the speakers, the potential rooms (due to Covid restrictions) and raffle tickets options.

POPAI Clothing/gear sales – Lindsey and Andria advised us of the recent discussion w/ the committee. They recommended the long sleeve t-shirt and 2 new items (full zip hoodie and baseball cap). A discussion followed regarding the option of purchasing/ordering items during the registration process. The Monday morning update will include the clothing options and costs.

The clothing vendor is different than we used in the past, so the committee made a motion that POPAI purchase new polos for all the board members. Sarah seconded. All were in favor and motion carried. Lindsey will send the info to everyone.

Board members needing financial assistance – Troy reminded the Board Members if anyone needs assistance to advise he and Anthony.

Thursday night activities – We will have a corn hole tournament and Uker tournament.


Chief's Executive Committee

Friday breakfast at the fall conference.


Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Esther stated:

The Steering Committee will meet on 8/3 (in person) and the Coordinator Conference is scheduled for 9/29 and 9/30.

They are working on the results-based action plan.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Shannon and Heather:  The last meeting was in July. IOCS

Senior Judge Heather Mallo is assisting with dual status jurisdiction suggestion to POAB.

They will be forming new committees (supervision, quarterly reports, training, etc). They are reviewing the trainings that are currently scheduled and what still needs to be offered. April Simmons is working with Interstate Compact.

IOCS is wanting to add static/stable tool into Incite. If you are interested in being involved in the pilot, please contact Angie H.

Tentatively, IOCS for 2022 will be scheduled for May 4-6 at the Convention Center. This is not confirmed.

Jenn Weaver stated orientation will continue to be virtual for the remainder of 2021.

They will be offering a skills-based workshop from Nov 4-6. The application is due on 8/1.


Heather stated the Intent to Run has been posted for District 1, 3, 5, 7, Treasurer and VP. We have one contested election at this time.

Karen discussed electronic options. After discussion, it was decided that we will continue with the written ballet at this time. The slate must be provided 30 days in advance.

Awards and Recognition

The information has been sent and the deadline is Aug 9.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

The next meeting is August 6.

They are working on the community correction code revision. Sarah will attend the next meeting.

Michelle Goodman will review the language in the statute for forensic diversion programs and possible suggestions for removal of such.

The home detention reports are due Oct 1.

EBDM:  Mimi Carter will be assisting with technical support for the local and state JRAC Committee.

A discussion followed regarding the local JRAC Committee and the uncertainty of what will be expected on the first report of Dec 1.  It was suggested to review the statute for possible expected data.


SEA 368 – Juvenile Jail Removal Committee. This is due to defendants under 18 being housed in adult jails.



Karen sent the board the updated tech report prior to the meeting. She will continue to assist with the upcoming fall conference. She stated the “jobs” section of the website continues to be the most visited site. The article on “gender identity article” was the most viewed article.

Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

We will review at the Sept meeting.


Race & Gender Fairness Commission

Lakisha provided the information by email:

CFRGF has completed the Indiana Equal Justice Plan and submitted it to the Indiana Supreme Court! We will be presenting the Indiana Equal Justice Plan and an overview of CFRGF initiatives/mission at the Popai Conference. Judge Potter (Porter County), Judge Marcrum (Vanderburgh Co), Myself and Lun Pieper will be presenting.

We have our new Chief Diversity Officer Dr. Gina Foster and a new DEI Coordinator-Princess Darnell.

Budget Ad Hoc Committee

The committee has discussed various information and Adam is preparing a summary. We will discuss at the next meeting.

Old Business

Sarah discussed the mentor program. She is working on the application and will discuss at the next meeting.

New Business

JRAC – 8/10 Jail Management Meeting.


Next Meeting

Wednesday, August 11 @ 10:30am at the Hamilton County Department of Probation Services.