February 9, 2022

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 02/09/2022

Troy called the zoom meeting to order at 9:30 am.


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Susan Bentley, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Megan Eakright, District 3 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • Rebecca Schrock, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Esther Kaelin, JDAI Representative
  • Shannon Chambers, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the January Secretary’s Report.  Heather moved to accept the January Secretary’s Report. Mignon seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.


Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the February Treasurer’s Report. As January 31, 2022 the balance in checking was $89,440.07 and in savings $17,082.44. Shannon motioned to accept the Treasurer’s Report. Becky seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.




The committee met last week and would like to begin recognizing the 10 and 25 year members. A discussion followed regarding the specific recognition. The committee will continue to discuss and update accordingly.

They also discussed a welcome bag for new members which would include: lapel pen, 10% coupon for POPAI Clothing and POPAI Membership Card.  Lindsey stated the committee asked how we could contact the new officers who attend the new probation officer orientation. A discussed followed. Troy will ask Chad Long if we can have access to the list.

Andria asked how we plan to handle the members who realize there has been a gap in their membership. Troy asked Karen if she will begin communicating w/ the members when the county no longer pays the membership. After the Management Institute, Karen will begin emailing members regarding their years of membership. We will discuss this topic once additional information has been gathered.

Karen explained she is learning a lot about different counties from the invoice communication. She plans to send the invoices in 2023 earlier than she did this year.

Lindsay was contacted by a member who asked if we will be offering a scholarship to attend the fall conference. Adam suggested offering a scholarship for the new members to attend the fall conference. A discussion followed regarding the different options (registration, hotel, etc) for a discount.

As of January 6, 2022:  1048 Total Current; 984 Pos; 6 Corporate and 58 Other



Anthony stated registration continues and he asked Karen to keep refreshing the information on the website and through the Monday Morning Emails. We currently have 50+ members registered for the Thursday and Friday. A CPO from California will be speaking on Thursday. He hopes to have the agenda next week.

IACCAC proposed partnership- We will discuss at next meeting.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Esther stated the virtual state steering meeting will be on 2-11-2022.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Next meeting is on 2-15-2022. Shannon will send the agenda once she receives it and will update everyone next month.

Awards and Recognition

Bob communicated with the committee to update the Knepple application. He and Karen will post the application per the by laws.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

Troy stated the last meeting was on 2-4-22.  There were 2 legislators in attendance.  Updates: The racial equity work group – working with a few counties, local JRAC will be scheduling a 3rd webinar, DOC updated their mission statement.


Troy discussed HB 1004 (DOC – Level 6, etc), HB 1359 (Juvenile Bill), SB 6 (Minimum bond), SB 9 (Home detention) The board discussed in detail to determine how to proceed with support/objection to each one.


Karen provided the tech report, which she emailed to the board. She has updated the CPO list, assisted with the corporate members, changed the data base file name, etc.


Old Business

Leadership – CJ and Shannon recommend to the board POPAI not enter into a contract with Brian Riggs. All were in agreement.  CJ, Shannon and Heather will contact the officers who planned to be involved in the mentoring program and we will continue to research other options. Troy will send a letter to Brian.

Salary scale-After discussion, Troy updated our proposal.  He will present this to POAB next week.

Jail Management- Next meeting March 9.

Lake County-No update.

By-Laws Ad Hoc- The committee met again today. They suggested numerous updates, but will not request a vote at this time. Any update suggestions should be sent to Troy. We will again discuss in May and request approval.

New Business

Life Member Nomination – Susan motioned to approve Ron Stateler from Vermillion County as a Life Member. Bob seconded. All were in favor and motion carried.


Next Meeting

Thursday, March 10 at noon at the Management Institute.