October 13, 2021

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for October 13, 2021

Troy called the meeting to order at 10:35 am.


  • Troy Hatfield, President
  • Michael Coriell, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Mike Small, District 4 Rep
  • C.J. Miller, District 5 Rep
  • Lindsey Villalpando, District 6 Rep
  • Rupert Strawbridge, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Adam McQueen, Past President
  • Greg Werich, Chief Exec Committee
  • Shannon Chambers, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Anthony Williams, Training Coordinator
  • Karen Oeding, Membership Coordinator and Website Administrator

Secretary's Report

Troy asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the September Secretary’s Report. Heather moved to accept the July Secretary’s Report. Mignon seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

Michael provided the  Treasurer’s Report. As of 9-30-2021, the balance in checking was $100,052.72 and in savings $17,081.860. Bob motioned to accept the Treasure’s Report. Cherie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Michael stated he had issues w/ his Quicken being installed so he communicated with CJ for this report. Payments: $2500 to the attorney for the amicus brief, our APPA renewal, French Lick expenses and Whova.

He stated we have earned $1.41 in interest in 2021. Heather asked about the possibility of placing some of the funds into an account with more interest. A discussion followed and Michael will look into options to discuss at the next meeting.

CJ discussed the cost for our accountant to conduct an audit, which would be $750-1000. He confirmed the accountant would review more information than provided for tax purposes. After discussion, CJ motioned that we request a formal audit every 10 years. Cherie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.




Karen stated the current numbers are:  1091 total members (1006 probation officers, 25 corporate, 60 other). She reported the new way she is handling the membership invoices has been very beneficial and less time consuming. She received positive feedback from the corporate members regarding the tier system/placement. She suggested we continue to do so in the future and evaluate the cost for each tier.

The database is working well and she is following up with the fall conference attendees who need to be contacted. She is in complete agreement with blending marketing and membership. Karen stated the previous merchandise link is still on our website. She will disable that link and add Lindsey’s contact information

Lindsey stated she sold additional items after the fall conference.

She liked the idea of looking into a new logo, but was unsure of the goal of such. A discussion followed. After we have additional information from Greg regarding the history of the current logo, we will prepare the specifics for a logo contest. The concept must be clear and we will provide guidelines. Karen suggested if we choose a different logo that we have a professional prepare the actual logo that will be used for merchandise, etc. Adam stated he can speak to someone in the graphic design department at one of the local colleges.



Troy discussed the COVID notification that he prepared after the fall conference.

Anthony stated we had 374 probation officer attendees. We discussed the Whova feedback that was received and he will send that information to the speakers. Adam said one vendor stated they may offer water bottles next year with their logo on the bottles. Anthony suggested that we will need to limit the tier levels.

Management Institute – Troy spoke to IACCAC about partnering with them for a spring conference. IACCAC currently has a conference scheduled in May and that is when the IOCS Conference is scheduled. After discussion, we decided this would be better to discuss for 2023 conference. We discussed different dates and Anthony will contact Drury Inn to discuss the availability.

 Whova- Anthony discussed the cost for continuing with the app. We discussed which features could be removed, which will decrease the cost. He will advise us at the next meeting of the cost w/ the removed features.


Chief's Executive Committee

Greg has notes from the fall conference and will email those to Anthony for his review (when planning for the management institute).

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

No report.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Heather stated the meeting was rescheduled to 11/2. Shannon stated the Judges are very interested in the Supreme Court arguments regarding pretrial cases.


Sarah has resigned as Vice President because she is leaving her position in Wabash County. Troy suggested we post the position on Monday on the website. Troy will send the information to Karen to post.

Sarah will send Troy all the information she has on the strategic plan. She also will need someone to take her position with the mentoring program/Brian Riggs.

The position will be posted and CJ will advise the board after 15 days of the number of applicants for VP. We agreed to then discuss at the Nov meeting. The new VP will finish this term and then be able to run for 2 consecutive terms.

Awards and Recognition

NO updates

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

The next JRAC Meeting is 10-29.

Troy stated the Community Corrections Code Revision Committee is working on the draft report and Michelle Goodman is the contact person. That report much be submitted by December 1 for full approval. The report will include information about class P credit time and direct commitments.

 EBDM- The webinar is scheduled for 11/1. The first one will be basic information and more discussion in the 2nd and 3rd webinar.



EBDM- The webinar is scheduled for 11/1. The first one will be basic information and more discussion in the 2nd and 3rd webinar.

Interim Study Committee on Corrections and Criminal Code is discussing a constitutional amendment for bail reform, which would allow for Judges to use prevention detention for the court to hold a person in custody. Virtually, eliminating cash bond. If this is prepared, it most likely would not be presented to the voters until 2026.



Karen reported everything is good w/ the website. She will continue the calendar updates. The Jobs page has the most visits. She will assist the district representatives in listing all the members in their district.


Bylaws & Strategic Plan Ad Hoc Committee

Heather, CJ and Shannon will assist w/ the mentor program.

Race & Gender Fairness Commission

No report.

Budget Ad Hoc Committee

Adam, CJ, Michael, Lindsey, Troy and Cherie

Old Business

PO Salary Scale – Troy spoke to Linda about the current survey and made a few additions to the questionnaire. The salary survey will be sent to all the chiefs and we hope to discuss at the Nov meeting.

Juvenile Jail Removal Comm-Troy stated the meetings continue, but no updates. 

Jail Management System- Mike reported they have been selected as a pilot county and the vendors have also been contacted.  

Amicus Brief – The oral argument is scheduled for 10/28.  

By Laws- No suggestions at this time.

New Business

New contracts – Karen suggested adding an incentive to Anthony’s contract for the tier members. Adam suggested the Budget Comm. review the contracts and then discuss.  

Anthony suggested the coordinator be sent to a national conference, such as APPA, so he/she can have additional connections and have more information for future trainings.  

CJ motioned that POPAI pay the expenses (hotel, registration, flight and food at the federal per diem rate – if not reimbursed by the coordinator’s employer) for the membership coordinator to attend the APPA winter conference. Cherie seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. 

APPA Winter Conference will be in Atlanta. If a board member, who has not already been selected, is interested in attending, please send your name to him by Nov 1.

Troy sent a new contact list to the board members.

Lindsey asked how counties are handling user fee collections and a discussion followed.


Troy discussed using an “owl” for our next meeting and CJ said they have one available.


Next Meeting

11-10 @ 10:30 in person at the Hamilton County Dept of Probation Services.